What if The Social Network took place in the Doctor Who universe?
- And instead of being about the creation of Facebook and Mark’s betrayal of Eduardo, it was about the creation of time travel and Rassilon’s betrayal of Omega?
- I mean, the sexual tension is already there.
- For those of you who don’t know the timeless tale of Rassilon and Omega:
- “During the Dark Times, it was Omega, in collaboration with Rassilon, who enabled the people of Gallifrey to travel through time. Omega invented the stellar manipulator (the Hand of Omega) that would cause a star to go supernova and let the Gallifreyans harness the power generated to time travel. However, despite Omega’s multiple contributions to the founding of Time Lord society, it is Rassilon who is hailed as a hero and gets most of the credit as the true founder. Rassilon betrayed his best friend at the time when he took the Eye of Harmony (the source of power) back to Gallifrey and left Omega stranded in the black hole that had been created. Accounts differ here, with some saying Omega died there in the supernova and others saying he escaped alive, wanting to get his revenge on his betrayer.”
- SOUND FAMILIAR?
- That summary left out a lot, but if Fincher and Sorkin can bend canon, so can I.
- The parallels are still there, though.
- At the prestigious Prydon Academy, young Rassilon gets hired by some older students to help create time travel, because he’s so smart.
- “If you were the inventor of time travel, you would have invented time travel.”
- But he takes the idea for himself and, with the help of Omega, creates the foundation for all of Time Lord society with the invention of the TARDIS and the harnessing of the power inside a black hole to make the Eye of Harmony.
- “I’m talking about taking the entire linear experience of existence and putting it through time.”
- They get taken under the wing of the Other, a Gallifreyan with influence who is willing to help Rassilon and Omega boost their invention to new heights of popularity.
- “We lived on farms, then we lived in cities, and now we’re going to live in time!”
- But then, in a shocking betrayal, Rassilon traps Omega inside the black hole and takes all the credit for himself.
- “I had to get your attention.”
- “SORRY, MY TARDIS IS AT THE CLEANERS! ALONG WITH MY ROBES AND MY FUCK-YOU FOB WATCH, YOU PRETENTIOUS DOUCHEBAG!”
WHAT IS AIR